Tuesday

Change in flux

It appears that I am always in a constant state of flux. The moment my life manages to settle down for a second, the gears of the world start turning again.

I’ve only been in this current job for 4 months, since December, and I’m already getting laid off. I guess that’s what you get when you work for the state of California. I’m planning to stay working here for free at most until the end of May. What happens after May? I’m moving to Socal.

I’m 25. It’s time to get started on the adult stages of my life. I’ve fooled around for a long time. Time to pick up the ball and drive toward the basket.

I’m currently looking for a new job in Socal. Hopefully something in the energy industry, since that’s the field in which I am currently employed. I’m really hoping for getting a gig at Southern California Edison, the utility for much of Southern California, but the positions currently being offered are not at all what I’m looking for. I’ll keep looking. I’m living at home, so I’m not in a desperate need to find a job. Alhamdulillah. Thank God.

I haven’t had time to write creatively. I saw Joel this weekend, and he asked me if I’d been working on our TV pilot. Flat answer was no. I haven’t had time or energy to invest in such a project. It’s sad, but it is the way of things.

I mentioned in my last post that when anything is written here at work it is “drafted.” My colleagues draft white papers, they draft proposals, they draft presentations, and they draft speeches. I suppose my more literary approach requires me to use the word “compose” for all those tasks. Each time I write a speech, I’m composing it with beauty and substance, far beyond what my fellow interns can do. I’m very happy to be able to use my English degree; not many people can say that they use their degree in the workplace, least of all being English majors. They subtle notes of humor and agile sarcasm are what keep me excited about the next line. I became an English major because I love to write and not because I love to read.

I’m reading Kafka on the Shore. It’s really weird… Very distinctly Asian. Though, I would say, it reads more like a Korean story rather than a Japanese one.


I close with a haiku, yet again.

I haven’t written
In so, so long
The pen creeping close

No comments:

Post a Comment